Activities with grandchildren
Family life can improve significantly for seniors as a result of more spare time
One of the advantages of being a senior is the abundance of spare time. Many seniors fill their spare time with social activities, studying, volunteer work and more. Time spent with grandchildren enables the senior to strengthen his or her relationship with the family and enjoy quality time with his or her grandchildren.
Here are a few ideas for activities with the grandchildren that everyone can enjoy:
- Board games: Children love board games such as Snakes and Ladders, Monopoly, Matching and more, and always enjoy learning new games and tips on how to win. Board games can be easily carried from place to place, and are suitable for all ages, so they are perfect for playing with grandchildren whether at the child’s home, at the senior living facility, in nature and more.
- Arts and crafts: Arts and crafts do not require a huge investment of resources—you just need a few materials and a table to work on. Children love to draw and make crafted items, so you can engage in arts and crafts with your grandchildren around a certain theme or make a special present for someone in the family, etc.
- Visiting a museum: There are many museums today offering suitable activities for children of all ages, such as the Holon Children’s Museum or the Science Museum in Jerusalem. These museums are designed in a way that provides enriching activities for children within the context of a family outing, so they are perfect for spending quality time with grandchildren.
- Seeing a film together: Any grandfather or grandmother can take their grandchildren to see a movie. Children love movies and this is not too physically demanding for the grandparents. It is important to check that the movie you have chosen is suitable for the ages of all the grandchildren participating in this activity.
- Cooking: Children love cooking and spending time in the kitchen, therefore cooking activities can be memorable and enjoyable for all. You can choose to prepare simple dishes like schnitzel and pasta or bake cookies of all kinds. The menu is not important—what is important is that the children all participate and everyone stays safe.
There are many activities that strengthen your connection to your grandchildren.
These activities and others can help strengthen your relationship with your grandchildren and entire family, and it is a very meaningful way to spend some of your abundant free time. Because there are so many options to choose from, it is easy to select activities that everyone will enjoy.